About Restless Development.
Young people are most affected by the most persistent problems in the world, yet are frequently overlooked as part of the solution. Our mission is to place young people at the forefront of change and development. Our strength comes from handing over the delivery and management of all of our programmes to young people and young professionals. From the planning to the evaluating, young people demonstrate the power of development led by young people. And at every level in our structure young people are represented; from the boardroom and senior leadership, right through to our programmes in Africa and South Asia. We have been working to create change since 1985 and over the past 30 years, our programmes have reached over 7 million young people directly and indirectly.
About our Global Board of Trustees.
The Restless Development Global Board of Trustees are the ultimate governance body for the organisation, overseeing the organisation’s resources and ultimately responsible for the strategy, operations and financial management of Restless Development. The Trustees serve on a voluntary basis, and meet quarterly, serving on at least one Trustees Committee (meeting quarterly) as well as additional meetings as and when required. We are currently recruiting for a Young Trustee who will ideally be aged between 18 to 25 to join our Global Board of Trustees. The purpose to recruit a young Trustee is to bring the experience and voice of youth to our Board of Trustees as well as to be representative of our work and delivery as a global agency. The applicant will ideally be based in the global south in order to bring insight and context into our Global Board.
The Trustees seek to work closely with the Chief Executive and Leadership team of Restless Development to achieve its goals, and are responsible for providing support, guidance and decisions in the following areas:
- Leadership selection, appointing the Chief Executive and occasionally advising on the recruitment of other senior leaders.
- Strategic thinking, including approving the strategy proposed by the Leadership Team.
- Financial oversight, including a formal review of the organisation’s annual budget and supporting the Leadership Team in financial management and organisation.
- Guidance and Support, including giving advice to the Chief Executive and Leadership team about the operations of the organisation in areas such as personnel management, strategic choices and legal requirements.
- Networking, including using your personal and professional network to assist the Chief Executive and Leadership team in gaining access to relevant individuals and institutions to support the operation and growth of the organisation
- Resourcing, including assisting the Chief Executive in gaining access to potential donors and supporters, and providing advice and assistance more generally on areas of fundraising.
- External Engagement, including advice and assistance in raising and maintaining the profile of Restless Development globally.
In line with our values we are committed to our Global Board being representative of the communities we serve – we are therefore seeking these appointments to be located in the Global South in order to add this perspective and lived experience into our global board.
We have progressed as an agency over the last few years, and we are recognised as a leader in youth development. In all of our trustees we look for great interpersonal, a passion for international development as well as the role of young people in society. Beyond that, our young trustees bring their experience, views and opinions from a perspective to complement our current board’s skill sets. We value those who are prepared to state their mind while also working collaboratively in a team.
Ideally, we are looking for a candidate who may have previously volunteered or have a connection with Restless Development/ similar organisation or who has extensive knowledge of the agency and what we are looking to achieve
For this particular appointment we would be keen to encourage applicants who have experience of volunteering at the community level. Applicants will have a commitment to youth leadership as well as youth development.
How to apply.
To apply for this role, please submit an expression of interest (maximum two pages) outlining why you think you may be suitable for the position of Trustee and an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the following job reference – Global Board Trustee.
The closing date for this role is 1st March 2021. Interviews are likely to be held virtually week commencing 8th March 2021.