About Restless Development.
Restless Development is about one thing: youth leadership. More than ever, the world needs young people’s leadership to solve its greatest challenges. Restless Development supports the journey of a young person to become a leader and helps them multiply that leadership in their communities and around the world. Every year we train, mentor, and connect thousands of young people to lead change. Some are social entrepreneurs, setting up businesses to provide for their families and create jobs, others are youth advocates, campaigning on issues like gender equality, climate justice, HIV and many others. We are a global agency driven by hubs in nine countries, and work with young people in over 70 countries. Our programs are genuinely life-changing, but we cannot do any of this without talented, creative individuals at every level of our organization.
About our Board of Trustees.
The Restless Development Sierra Leone national Board of Trustees is the governance body for the organization in Sierra Leone, serving as stewards of its resources and responsible for oversight of strategy, operations and financial management.
For more information on Restless Development’s mission, values and work, please visit: www.restlessdevelopment.org. The Trustees serve on a voluntary basis, and currently meet quarterly in Freetown, attending additional meetings when required.
The Trustees work closely with the Hub Director and Leadership Team of Restless Development Sierra Leone to achieve its goals. The Trustees also ensure that Restless Development Sierra Leone’s governance agreement with the global agency is upheld, supporting Restless Development’s international senior leadership team, Chief Executive Officer and International Board of Trustees as the ultimate management and governance bodies responsible for the organisation.
The national Sierra Leone Board is specifically responsible for:
- Leadership oversight, including helping the global agency to appoint the Hub Director and feeding back on her/his performance;
- Strategic guidance, including advising the Hub Director and global agency on the implementation of Restless Development’s global strategy in Sierra Leone;
- Financial oversight, including review and monitoring of the organisation’s annual budget and accounts;
- Networking, including using personal and professional networks to assist the Hub Director and leadership team to gain high level access to relevant individuals and institutions to support the operations and sustainability of the agency in Sierra Leone;
- Fundraising, including assisting the Hub Director to gain high level access to potential donors and supporters, and providing advice and practical assistance more generally on areas of fundraising.
Skills and Experience.
In all of our Trustees, we look for dedicated professionals with fantastic interpersonal skills and a passion for development and the role of young people in Sierra Leone. We are looking first and foremost for someone who demonstrates the personal qualities consistent with our Values.
As well as bringing the important skills and competencies needed to carry out the Board’s responsibilities as outlined above, you will be prepared to dedicate time, effort and passion towards seeing Restless Development Sierra Leone succeed in everything it does. You will have excellent knowledge and professional experience of working within Sierra Leone. Ideally, you will also be able to provide access to useful networks for Restless Development, whether that is with young people and youth networks, Sierra Leone an civil society, international partners, donors, government, academia or the private sector.
We are particularly interested to receive applications from candidates with experience or expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Programme management
- Community mobilisation
- Financial management
- People and Human Resources
- NGO regulations and legal compliance
- Advocacy, campaigning or communications
- Policy and Research
How to apply.
Interested candidates should download the Terms of Reference for more details, and complete the application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on the Monday 31st May 2021, with the subject line ‘Application: Trustee’.
First round interviews are expected to be held in the week commencing in the first week of June 2021. There may be an additional subsequent second round of interviews.
Only successful candidates will be notified. Restless Development is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.