Restless Development India is hiring a consultant to conduct a Baseline Study for ‘Pahal – The Initiative’ programme in India.
About Restless Development India.
Restless Development is registered in India as a public charitable Trust in the name of “Student Partnership Worldwide India Project Trust”. Restless Development has worked in India since 1985. We are committed to mobilizing young people as an effective human resource in development efforts, empowering young people living in poor communities, and directly influencing the government to develop youth-focused policies. We currently work on livelihoods and employment, health and governance, and civic participation across the states of Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, and Delhi, reaching over 100,000 people each year.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a dynamic team at Restless Development India, which is undertaking cutting edge youth-led and focused programmes in India on key priorities of young people.
About the programme.
PAHAL – The Initiative is a five year programme, that is being implemented in Hiranpur block located in Pakur district, Jharkhand, India. The programme aims to create gender equitable and and child marriage free communities where girls participate more in decisions that affect them, including regarding marriage; through the following interconnected outcomes:
- Children from the programme area (especially girls) have improved access to education and retention
- Households, communities, schools and young people are supportive of children’s (especially girl’s) aspirations
- Joint CSOs action leading to an accountable and responsive child protection mechanism
Purpose of the Evaluation.
This is a baseline study; it is expected that the results of the study should establish the current status and information about the project indicators and the targeted beneficiaries. These results will be documented in terms of objectively measurable indicators so as to allow comparison with the final status and information about the same indicators and the same target group at subsequent evaluations of the project.
The purpose of the baseline is to provide a benchmark against which project performance can be measured. Restless Development has clearly defined its targets and indicators in its Logframe; therefore a baseline survey is necessary to benchmark indicators for each of the targets set.
The study will therefore generate both quantitative and qualitative information on the current status of the key project indicators with the strongest statistical rigour. The information provided in the report needs to clearly state the source of data in all instances and should be clear as to how calculations are made so that they can be replicated annually, at evaluations and any other point of time over the life of the project.
Key Deliverables and Timeframe.
|S.No||Deliverable||Description of expected deliverable||Timeframe|
|1||Inception Report in English||An inception report must be prepared by the consultant before going into the technical mission and full data collection stage (to include among others, consultant’s understanding of what is being evaluated, plans and timelines for the evaluation exercise, revised data collection tools, evaluation report format)||30th January 2022|
|3||Presentation of preliminary thoughts in English||Consultant(s) must develop and deliver a presentation ofpreliminary thoughts in English to the responsible team in Delhi – containing preliminary thoughts as debriefing of the data collection process.||10th February, 2022|
|4||Draft Evaluation Report in English||Consultant(s) must submit a draft report for review and comments by Restless Development and all parties appointed by Restless Development. The report needs to meet the minimum requirements agreed on during the inception report. .||4th March, 2022|
|5||Final Evaluation Report in English||Relevant comments from Restless Development and its key stakeholders must be well integrated in the final version, and the final report must meet the minimum requirements specified in this TOR. Consultant(s) must accompany the final report with appropriate versions of the report in any appropriate format, for dissemination among various levels of stakeholders as well as share the raw and cleaned data collected.||11th March, 2022|
|6||Impact Brief||A 2 pages impact brief consolidated in a template that will be provided by Restless Development.||20th March, 2022|
Profile of the Consultant.
The qualifications and/or specialized knowledge/ experience required are:
- Evaluation experience at least 5 years in conducting external evaluations, with mixed- methods evaluation skills and having flexibility in using non-traditional and innovative evaluation methods.
- Advanced degree in relevant disciplines such as Gender Studies, Sociology or related disciplines.
- Expertise in gender and human-rights based approaches to evaluation and issues of girls’ education, child rights and child rights violations.
- Strong leadership and management track record, as well as interpersonal and communication skills to help ensure that evaluation is understood and used
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Strong English report writing skills and a track record of producing high quality publications (at least one of them should be shared with Restless Development to verify the quality of her/his work).
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- A strong commitment to delivering timely and high-quality results, i.e. credible evaluation and its report that can be used
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in English and Hindi, and an ability to express ideas and concepts concisely and clearly to ensure that the evaluation is understood and used.
This consultancy is planned to be completed in 45 working days; from 20th January, 2022 to 23rd March, 2022. The detailed break-up of timelines will be discussed with the successful consultant during the induction meeting.
The total budget for this consultancy is INR 1,50,000 (taxes, consultant(s) expenses and qualitative data collection included)
How to apply.
Offers must include:
- Name, address and telephone number of the consultant/ Team leader.
- Consultant(s) CV
- A list of the previous studies/researches developed by her/him, including the link to be able to review them (if this is already included in the CV, it wouldn’t be necessary to attach it separately).
- Technical offer/ Expression of Interest
- Financial proposal (consultancy fees).
Restless Development reserves the right to reject any or all proposals without providing any reason and has no obligation to accept any offer made. Furthermore, proposals not strictly adhering to the conditions may not be considered by Restless Development, whose decision on the matter shall be final.
The above documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Baseline Study of PAHAL – The Initiative by 4th January, 2022.