Closing date: Tuesday 19th July 2016
About Restless Development
Restless Development is a leading international youth-led development agency, putting young people at the heart of development. From the grassroots level to the global stage, our programmes demonstrate that young people and youth-led approaches can and must be an integral part of mainstream development.
In 2016, Restless Development is launching a new vision and strategy led by young people. Having championed the engagement, position and ultimately the influence of young people at every stage of the development of the United Nations’ new Global Goals, our strategy will:
- Convene, advocate, and empower young people and youth agencies to lead change, anc
- Collaborate with partners and governments who share our vision for young people to be at the forefront of achieving a just and sustainable world for all
Through ten thousand volunteers in the first five years, this new strategy will deliver a freshly designed ‘Restless Model’ for youth-led development that will give youth-led organisations around the world a recipe for lasting, transformative change led by people and their communities. In addition, Restless Development will engage hundreds of partners and thousands of young people working for youth-led change through:
- A platform that young people can access to lead change through their own ideas and innovation
- A coalition of technical youth-led development agencies that partner organisations can join
- A youth ‘lab’ where knowledge, insight, research and experience is shared
Restless Development is looking for an experienced HR expert to join its International Board of Trustees at this critical time. The desired post holder will:
- Have substantial and relevant HR experience at both operational and strategic level
- Have significant experience and expertise in leading and embedding global change programmes
- Have experience of overseeing expansion and growth through an HR lens
- Have comprehensive leadership skills, ideally within an international organisation
About our International Board of Trustees
The Restless Development International Board of Trustees is the ultimate governance body for the organisation, serving as stewards of its resources, and ultimately responsible for our strategy, operations and financial management. The Trustees serve on a voluntary basis, and meet quarterly in London, serving on at least one Trustees Committee (meeting quarterly) as well as additional meetings when required.
The Trustees seek to work closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team of Restless Development to achieve its goals, and are responsible for providing support, guidance and decisions in the following areas:
Leadership selection, including appointing the Chief Executive and approving the appointments of the Senior Management Team and Country Directors. :
- Strategic thinking, including approving the strategy proposed by the Senior Management Team.
- Financial oversight, including a formal review of the organisation’s annual budget and supporting the Senior Management Team in financial management and organisation.
- Guidance and Support, including giving advice to the Chief Executive and Senior Management team about the operations of the organisation in areas such as personnel management, strategic choices and legal requirements.
- Networking, including using your personal and professional network to assist the Chief Executive and Senior Management team in gaining high level access to relevant individuals and institutions to support the operation and growth of the organisation
- Fundraising, including assisting the Chief Executive in gaining high level access to potential donors and supporters, and providing advice and assistance more generally on areas of fundraising.
- Public Relations, including advice and assistance in raising and maintaining the profile of Restless Development in the UK and internationally.
We have grown significantly under strong leadership over the past five years, and are recognised as a leader in youth development. In all of our trustees we look for dedicated professionals with good interpersonal skills, and a passion for international development and the role of young people in society.
As our agency continues to grow, we are looking for a highly skilled and motivated Human Resources expert to join our board of Trustees and help to take our positive, engaged culture to the next level. We would particularly welcome applications from those with an interest in international development and the essential role young people have to play in society.
You’ll have experience of senior level leadership of people, change management, and culture strategies and programmes in a fast paced, highly international environment, with a broad range of HR experience encompassing reward, recruitment, talent management, organisation effectiveness, and learning & development, as well as more general experience in strategy and governance. You'll be willing to help Restless Development using your reputation and networks, and ideally you'll have experience or links to the global South.
If selected to join our International Board of Trustees, you will be expected to attend;
• 4 x board meetings annually (Currently held quarterly and on a weekday evening 5pm to 8pm);
• 4 x quarterly Sub Committee meetings (min of one sub-committee per Trustee);
• 1 x annual 1 day Board away/development days
This is an unpaid, voluntary role.
To apply for this role, please submit an expression of interest (maximum two pages) outlining your suitability for the role of Trustee and an up to date CV to email@example.com stating following job reference Trustee - HR.
The application closing date is 19th July 2016.
Interviews are scheduled to take place for this role at our office in Waterloo, London during August. If you have limited availability, please state this in your expression of interest as this will support us to arrange convenient interviews times.